Railcar 608.05 - 1939
In the 1930s, NMBS/SNCB experimented with diesel railcars in an attempt to reduce operating costs. The surprising fairing of type 608 was purportedly inspired by the English railcars of the Great Western Railway. Six railcars type 608 were delivered in 1939. Their initial maximum speed was 126 km/h. It was then lowered to 100 km/h. Railcar 608.05 is painted in two shades of green, separated by a black strip. It has a second and a third class compartment. The interior has wooden benches. It was taken out of circulation in November 1966 and now belongs to the heritage collections of NMBS/SNCB.
Type 29 - 1945
After the Second World War, the Belgian government ordered 300 steam locomotives from different American and Canadian manufacturers. Two NMBS/SNCB engineers were sent out to bring the project to fruition. At the end of 1945, American type 29 locomotives arrived, assembled, at the port of Antwerp, while the Canadian ones arrived in pieces! The “Consolidation” type 29 were suitable for mixed use. They can haul a 600-tonne passenger train at 90 km/h as well as a 1,800-tonne freight train at 60 km/h.
Locomotive 29.013 first came into operation on 8 February 1946. On 20 December 1966 at 14:07, this locomotive was the last to officially tow a passenger steam train, from Ath to Denderleeuw. It was decommissioned on 2 February 1967. Today it is part of the heritage collections of NMBS/SNCB.
Type 101 - 1949
Electrification of NMBS/SNCB’s railway lines began with the commissioning of the Brussels - Antwerp line in 1935 in order to electrify all lines leaving from the capital. But war broke out and the projects were postponed. After Belgium’s liberation, NMBS/SNCB wanted a powerful locomotive to haul heavy goods trains, mainly between the port of Antwerp and the industrial basin of Charleroi. Inspired by the SNCF’s BB 301 to 324, NMBS/SNCB ordered its first 20 electric locomotives from ACEC/SEM and Baume & Marpent. They were delivered in 1949.
They were re-numbered class 29 in 1971 and then placed in reserve in 1975 following a decrease in freight traffic. They were recommissioned in 1978 and definitively removed from service in March 1983. Locomotive 101.012 is part of the heritage collections of NMBS/SNCB.