Paul Delvaux (1897-1994) developed a magisterial body of work inspired by the world of trains. On the occasion of the 25th anniversary of his death, Train World invites you to dive into his poetic and mysterious universe.
Superbly integrated into the breathtaking scenography of Train World, the surrealist master’s paintings echo the unique atmosphere of the museum. During this exhibition, we invite you to experience this magical resonance and discover the work of this man passionate about trains and stations.
The exhibition's itinerary presents the evolution of the painter’s work: it begins with the first drawings of the 1920s, continues with the watercolours of the 1930s and culminates in the discovery of with the monumental works of the 1950s to the 1970s. A display of some of the artist's personal possessions reveals his passion for the railway universe.
A breathtaking, unique exhibition
About fifty works are exhibited. The works presented have been lent by the Paul Delvaux Museum at St. Idesbald and private collections. Only very rarely do they leave their homes! Around twenty large-format paintings are on display, including La Gare forestière (1960) - one of his masterworks - as well as canvases depicting women in railway surroundings: L’Age de fer (1952), Le Voyage légendaire (1974) and Le Tunnel (1978).
Besides canvases, watercolors and drawings, you can also see scale models of trains commissioned by the artist and watch a film especially made for the occasion.
Although the painter’s fascination with railways remains a mystery, this exhibition takes you on a dream-filled and somewhat nostalgic journey.
- Visit of the temporary exhibition
- Tailor-made guided visits given by our experienced guides
- Literary tour through the museum (given during one weekend per month for the duration of the exhibition - only available in French or Dutch)
- A family activity for children from 6 to 12 years old and their family: "A journey with Paul Delvaux"
- Modified educational packages, as from the first grade of primary school till the last grade of high school (only in French or Dutch)
- A reference book about the work of Paul Delvaux related to railways
- Corporate events can be organised in the evening for the duration of the exhibition
- Train World – Schaerbeek station
From 22.10.2019 till 30.06.2020
- Open from Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 till 17:00 (last admission at 15:30), closed on Monday
- Entrance for the temporary exhibition is included in your entrance ticket for Train World.
- The B-Excursions of the Belgian railways (SNCB) combine an entrance ticket to Train World with a train ticket at a preferential rate. Available in all Belgian railway stations and online via www.sncb.be.
- Tel: +32 (0)2 224 74 98
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Today we're open from 10:00 until 17:00 (last admission at 15:30).